Sunday, January 16, 2011

Florida Beer Meetup #1 (Skulls, Parking Lot Fights, ohh and Beer!)

So yesterday I jumped in the car with The Cerveza Chica, Miguel, and Evil Twin.  We decided to make a day trip 220 miles away from South Florida to meetup with some of the most active individuals in the Florida State Beer Scene.

About 3 hours later we finally pulled into the Cock & Bull in Sarasota, Florida. Outside we met with the crypt keeper himself, Rick from Ales from the Crypt. While catching up I could not help but to look at the outside of this building we were about to invade....it was well a run down looking house.


Once I inched closer to the door I noticed, that the outside appearance was maybe to fend off any snobby beer drinkers. Inside it was all business....almost like walking into a piece of heaven in Sarasota Florida.


Inside, the now 5 Beerigos, met Howie one part of the ownership of the Cock & Bull. We also reunited with Gerrard from Road Trips for Beer, and "the man, the myth, the legend" Alan Shaw (well he isn't so much of a myth anymore cause I met him finally!). Howie, gave us free run of what was an amazing beer bar, and the outside patio.

The lineup was built.


Once some bottles started to pop, out of nowhere Amie, "The Crazy Cat Lady" just appeared. In her words, "anything having to do with Epic Beer and Amazing People in the state of Florida, I will be there!"

OK, so we drank a lot of samples and shared good stories about Skulls, Cross Bones, and Graves (hehehe). We spoke a bit more about the Florida Beer Scene where it has come and where it is going. Ohh yah and we spoke about what we have all been up to since the last time we all got together.

Now where is the Parking Lot Fights coming from?

Well, on the way home the 4 South Florida Beerigos were grabbing some snacks and gas for the trip back. All I can say is an episode of Jerry Springer broke out in the parking lot of 711. What happened? I really don't know but this one couple was just not very happy with each other. It made for some interesting conversation for the trip home!

I look forward to meeting up with everyone again soon! Big thanks goes out to Howie from the Cock & Bull for hosting the event! I promise I will get a review of your fine establishment up on this blog ASAP....it was one of the best beer bars I have ever been to! Thanks for Gerrard, Alan, Amie, Rick, and of course my 3 Beerigos that made the trip with!


"Good People Drink Good Beer" ~Hunter S. Thompson

3 comments: