Friday, January 14, 2011

Ichtegem's Grand Cru


Ichtegem's Grand Cru
Brouwerij Strubbe
Belgium
6.50% ABV
Style: Flanders Red


C: Cloudy
H: Red-ish in color
N: Sweet Vinegar with Hints of Cherry

EvilTwin: I have to thank The Ferm for introducing me to sours. It turns out they are the perfect compliment to my stout/porter fixation. After about two stouts/porters I'm ready for a change and since sours seem to be almost the exact opposite of stouts/porters it works out perfectly.

This one had a light brown hue to it. Slight tints of red with dotty, oily lacing. The aroma has hints of vinegar, cherries, and a sour funkness. The taste was slightly sweet with the sour/tartness that most sours have. It wasn't too sour, and not too light either. Just right for me.
Score 3.8

The Ferm: All about the sours....last year that was my motto. This year I plan on living by that motto and getting my hands on as many new sours that I have never tried before. Big thanks to The Cerveza Chica for bringing this bottle back from Chicago for me.
The nose on this is insane...lots of sweet bitterness and hints of funk, and the flavor does not let you down. While this is not an "over the top" sour beer, it is extremely well balanced and made. I would label this as an entry level sour, and a very good one at that.
Score: 4.12

Overall: 3.96

2 comments:

  1. Good week of reviews brotha. Let's do that again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Looking forward to the beer-venture tomm!

    ReplyDelete