Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blue Point Toasted Lager


Blue Point Toasted Lager
Blue Point Brewing Company
Patchogue, New York
5.30% ABV
Style: Vienna Lager


C: Clear
H: Gold
N: Toasty Malt, Hints of Grain, and Sweet Butter

Miguel: I learned a little tid bit of knowledge from Fresh Beer Webguy about Blue Point when we had this. All 12 oz bottles of their beer are contract brewed. Only the bombers and kegs are brewed at the actual brewery. So with this 12 ouncer I will keep that in mind. The nose is pretty much toasted malts. I guess they got that spot on. The taste has more of that along with some buttery notes. A slightly creamy mouthfeel (haha) reminds of of a hand drawn beer. And I love me cask beers so bonus points. But that can also be a sign of infection sometimes. Is it meant to be that way? I'm not exactly sure. But I found this to be an enjoyable lager that would be a good session beer in the summer.
Score: 3.2002

The Ferm: Well I have to say I expected this to be a very light bodied lager. I was wrong, it actually had a very nice medium body. The flavors of the beer are subtle, which was expected. The only thing that was sort of a shocker was the fact that this is pretty sweet. This is a beer I would like to see canned, as it would be perfect for outdoor event in Florida (just Florida though...lol). Light and refreshing. Not a bad beer at all.
Score: 2.98

Overall: 3.0901

1 comment:

  1. I was in Manhattan for one night last summer and after putting my 2-year-old to sleep ventured down to the corner bodega in search of brew. Blue Point Toasted Lager was the only thing they had besides Bud, Miller, and 40's of OE. I bought a sixer and actually ended up finishing the whole thing in my room that night. It is a very smooth and drinkable beer with a nice sweet, bready flavor - I loved it!

    ReplyDelete