Wednesday, May 25, 2011

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale - AKA Gordon


G'Knight Imperial Red Ale "Gordon"
Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery
Lyons, Colorado
8.70% ABV
Style: Red Ale/Imperial IPA


C: Little Hazy
H: Amber Red
N: Strong Hoppines (Pine, Hint of Citrus), Sweet Malt (Light Caramel, Hint of Candy)

The Ferm: Have you seen all the places with G'Knight on draft in the local area?!? NO THIS IS NOT A NEW BEER FROM OSKAR BLUES....yeah well I am sure I am going to catch some slack for this, but I thought it was. I even talked about this name change on United We Drink with my buddy Mike from MikeLovesBeer.com, and I was tricked by the name change.

Why was the name changed? Well Gordon Biersch felt that the name Gordon was too similar to the name of their brewery. Well I personally would not mistake a can of Gordon with a plastic bottle of Gordon Biersch Lager. Sorry, you failed at this one G.B.

The good that came from this? Well I have fallen back in love with this beer, and I am sure several other people have looked at the name and said "WOW A NEW BEER, I HAVE TO TRY IT!". Well thanks G.B. for bringing back my love of a damn hoppy red ale that comes in over 8% ABV! The beer is sweet and sticky but the malt is balanced by a nice initial punch of hops on the palate.

Overall, if you see G'Knight on draft at a local bar....GRAB IT, DRINK IT, and give the finger to the establishment....not the bar you are at, but the idiot that made someone change the name of their beer. COME ON PEOPLE, IT'S JUST BEER!

Score: 3.75

4 comments:

  1. haha You really forgot about this? Yeah it's still a killer beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this at Crown for around $2 a can before, needless to say it was a good day

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'knight tastes different than Gordon. I grabbed a 4-pack, initially thinking it was a new beer like you, and a buddy had some Gordon. Once we discovered that they were supposed to be the same beer, we did a side-by-side comparison. The beer in the can labelled Gordon was much smoother; G'knight had a new bitterness to it that made it significantly less enjoyable than Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments! Yes I was tricked again Mike...Uggh! Jim, I agree it is a bit different but still very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete