Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Funky Buddha - Last Snow


Last Snow
The Funky Buddha Brewing Company
Boca Raton, FL
??% ABV
Style: Milk/Coffee Porter

C: Hazy
H: Brown in Color
N: Coconut, Chocolate, and hints of Caramel

Well another offering from the mad scientist from the Funky Buddha. This time around they are using a WHITE COFFEE....yep most coffees are black....not this coffee, it is actually WHITE BEANS. Crazy yes....scary even more so.....there is something just un-natural to white coffee beans.

Regardless, I was excited to have the opportunity to try this beer out. I honestly would have been more than happy to sit and smell this beer all night....it is over powered with coconut, white chocolate, and hints of caramel. I believed it smelled just like an Almond Joy Candy Bar, but the Cerveza Chica and several others told me it smelled like a Samoa Girl Scout Cookie....I guess I can see that. Never the less the coconut is front and center.

Now I have had a coconut porter before from Maui Brewing Company, which was good.....but the coconut was not this strong in the nose. Like the nose of the Last Snow, this beer wallops you in the head with coconut flavor. Like a monkey tossing coconuts from a tree this beer is attack after attack of coconut. There is a nice hint of chocolate and caramel under tones to it. Honestly in my opinion the best flavor profile yet from the Buddha Beers. The body is a bit thin, but that is to be expected as the base beer is still a porter.

One odd note about this beer....once warm the nose reminds me of coconut tanning oil. Still not a bad thing!

Damn good beer!

Score: 4.8995

1 comment:

  1. The aroma was like coconut rum in my opinion but I can see the almond joy thing for sure

    ReplyDelete