Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout


Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout
Short's Brewing Company
Bellaire, Michigan
8.00% ABV
Style: Imperial Stout

C: Can't tell how clear it is because it is BLACKKKK
H: Very Dark Black
N:Espresso forward, hints of sweet creme, and sugary roasted malt

Evil Twin: I'm not a coffee drinker by any means, but coffee flavor in a beer is something that I just can't resist. When I wake up in the morning I need a jolt to boost me out of my slumber, but I would always much rather grab an energy drink over a cup of coffee. I suppose I just like cold drinks over hot ones, but that's another topic of discussion all together.
I was lucky enough to land two bottles of Shorts Cup O' Joe, plus others, in my most recent trade (Mad respect to Erik Koppin for hooking me up with all those Short bottles, you rock my friend)

Poured into my Delirium snifter glass I noticed that the texture was pretty thick. Syrupy and oily with a thin brown head. The aroma had hints of roasted coffee bean, espresso and vanilla, a delicious combo I could fall for every time. The flavor however was something totally out of left field. Black Olive.... That's right, black olives came through in the flavor. I didn't catch it at first, probably because I don't eat olives ever, but once The Ferm mentioned it I totally tasted it. It was quite bizarre to say the least. It had the coffee and lactose flavors as well, but black olives really took center stage on this one. I might be inclined to get more of this, but I wouldn't go out of my way to be truthful. It was a great tasting experience, but olives are meant for salads and pizza, not in my beer.
Score 3.5

The Ferm: Call me crazy, yes I know most of you do already, but I get pepperoncini all up in the nose. Now I can pull the espresso out, and maybe it is just the bitterness of the coffee, but I get pepperoncini. Regardless, I was excited about this beer as I have only been able to try several of the Short's Beers. Thanks to EvilTwin for sharing this with me.
OK, the taste of the beer is straight black olive. I love black olives, but damn....not in beer. There is a strong salty mid-palate flavor that is throwing the whole flavor profile off. That mixed with a strong espresso back-end, brought me back to the day of eating black olives from the can. Nothing like putting the pitted black olives on your fingers so you have olive fingers, and then eating them off! (Hey don't judge me....I know you did it too!). Overall this is an interested black olive beer!
Score: 2.11

Overall: 2.805

No comments:

Post a Comment