Monday, April 11, 2011

Bourbon Barrel Aged Bolita Brown


Bourbon Barrel Aged Bolita Brown Double Nut Brown Ale
Cigar City Brewing
Tampa, FL
ABV: 9%
Style: American Strong Ale


C: Pretty Clear
H: Dark Amber / Light Brown
N: Still Boozey, Hints of Bourbon, Oak, Coconut, and Caramel

The Ferm: Bottled in 2009, this barrel aged gem is still freaking boozey as hell. Heard rumors that the bottles were getting infected so I decided to crack it open to share with some of the Beer-igos in South Florida.
First and foremost. This did not come across as infected to me at all. It was a little over carbonated for the style, which may have been a light infection, but I don't get any tart or dark fruit funk out of this beer.
The Maker’s Mark Bourbon comes across strong on the attack of the beer, but unlike other newer barrel aged beers, the beer isn't stingy on the tongue from the alcohol. Extremely well balanced flavor wise. Dare I say this is one of the best barrel aged beers that I have had from Cigar City? Sure, why the hell not! This was a treat....shame they only released 170-ish bottles. I would defiantly look for another although I doubt there are many still around.
Score: 4.66958

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome. I loved the original Bolita so I can only imagine the barrel-aged version. How'd you get your hands on this one??

    ReplyDelete