Saturday, February 6, 2010

Magic Hat; Howl




Magic Hat Brewing Company

South Burlington, VT
4.60 ABV

**Winter Seasonal**


C. Clear, for a very dark beer

H. Black

N. Strong Coffee, light smoke, and hints of chocolate

Cerveza Chica; I wanted to end our tasting session with this beer because I had a pretty good feeling that I would not like it, and therefore I didn’t want it to ruin the other reviews for me. In doing this I was most definitely right. I do not like coffee normally, and I especially don’t like beer that tastes like it. So that is where this beer lost me. I also am not a big fan of dark beers, and you can’t get any darker than this one because it is literally black in color. I found no redeeming qualities to this beer. It also left a smoky taste in my mouth and made me feel like I was drinking coffee with lots of caffeine in it instead of beer with alcohol. I would be fine never drinking this beer again.

Score; 1.07

Ferm; Well this is the second, Black Lager that I have reviewed for the site. The first was the Dixie Voodoo Black. So ill compare the two. If you read that review the Dixie it was clean, crisp, and water-like. Howl, has a TON more flavor. It is smokey as expected from a deep black beer, but has a great settling almost sweetness to it. If I could compare it to a person; remember that gothic chick that was in high-school. Well she seemed dark and probably smoked ciggs cause she thought it was “cool”. Well then when you got to know her and passed all the black clothes and make-up, she was sorta sweet, but yet still dark. Yep that’s this beer. So if your into all that dark stuff I would recommend this beer. It has grown on me throughout the month since I was shipped 12 of these bad boys from the “beer fairy” up north (they may make a special appearance some time soon…stay tuned!). Well you cant go grab this one, but if your nice I may share my final three with you! Check it out next winter season, for sure!

Score;3.685

Overall: 2.3775

No comments:

Post a Comment