Friday, January 22, 2010

Rogue XS Imperial India Pale Ale


Rogue Ales
Newport, OR
9.5 ABV


C. Cloudy

H. Light orange, maybe darkish yellow

N. Very hoppy, hints of floral

Dos: Ok, so this interesting concoction wasn't as interesting as I had hoped. Trust me, it was good and drinkable, but with all the hype and cool bottle and all, I didn't feel like it lived up to it's expectations. I get baffled sometimes because I drink a beer that has an extreme bitterness, yet the IBU is lower than expected, and then I drink something like this where it is pretty hoppy and bitter, but not to an extreme, and the IBU is higher than that last beer. Just like The Dolphins, my fav team, they don't usually live up to expectations. Everyone gets all riled up before the season, and then they lose the first 4. What the hey is that??? Eh, oh well, looking forward to the other XS Imperial beers from Rogue. Score = 3.84

Fermentation: Hmmm well I will give this beer the coolest bottle award. I love the fact that this bottle is heavy and has the “Grolsh style” top to it. Ok, enough about the pretty packaging. This was a good Imperial IPA, nothing special definitely not worth the retail price. Strong hoppy hit and nice lingering bitterness. There is good balance between hops and malt. Worth a try if you can find a friend that got this for their birthday! Thanks guys! Score = 4.12

Overall = 3.92

1 comment:

  1. I have seen these bottles at total wine before but never knew anyone bought them. The price is pretty steep on them, but if its worth the money then it might be a splurge kind of purchase. I do get my commision check soon!

    ReplyDelete